Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Wolf Whistling

No spasms today. This is the first day that we haven't seen anything remotely like a spasm since Sheena was diagnosed. We are hoping for many more repeats. I had a phone-consult with her Neurologist, and he agreed that we don't have to try Topomax as well as Epilim, as the Epilim seems to be holding her seizures. He didn't think my theory that she had Hypocalcemia (severe calcium deficiency) while she was on the Pred had much substance, but I think she had it, and that was why she was grimacing all the time.

We made it to the monthly Down Syndrome Coffee Group today. The first time we've been able to go since Sheena was six months old. She was fine, and was actually quite sleepy, so basically slept or got cuddled most of the time.

The Coffee Group is very well attended. It has parents of babies up to primary school age. When I first went, when Sheena was 4 weeks old, I was amazed that there were so many young ones with Down Syndrome in just our local area (a very uneducated reaction given that 1 out of 800 births has DS, but an interesting one regardless). Thankfully it is only a 10 minute drive from my house. I was fine going when Sheena was 4 weeks, then 8 weeks, but when she was 3 months, I bawled my eyes out. The same afternoon, I stubbornly also went to my local mothers group, and cried there too.

I hate crying in public, but this past year, I have not had much choice in the matter. Something that really annoys me about crying in front of medical professionals is that they seem to want to fix the crying. They want to introduce you to a social worker, or recommend a counsellor. I think that crying is a completely appropriate and natural response to certain situations, but our culture doesn't feel comfortable with it.

Here is Sheena giving a Wolf Whistle.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I agree with you that crying is a completely natural respponse to some situations and can't be helped! I'm one who cries easily :)

Glad to hear there were no spasms and you had a nice time at the coffee group!