Sunday, May 20, 2007

A few more days.


Sheena took a turn for the worse last night. Hubby was about to go home for the evening at 7.30 when Sheena's panting started to look more labored while she was drifting off to sleep. We asked the nurse to come and have a look.

We had to get her up to have a proper look at her and she was not happy about it. She was blue in the hands and very mottled all over. She had a temp of about 38.3, and her oxygen levels had dropped to the low 80's so we also had to give her a mask along with the nasal tubes she already had. The nurse paged the Doc, and he examined her very closely. Given the rapid change in her, they did another chest xray to see if her bronchitis had developed into pneumonia, and by the time that happened her temperature had spiked to 39.8. She was extremely distressed, and they gave her codeine to calm her down somewhat. Given the temperature, they also decided that bloods and an IV were required. We stressed to the Registrars that she is impossible to get bloods out of let alone an IV, and that we wanted a neonatal or ICU Doc to do it, but ICU Doctors were too busy, and they were very keen to start treatment given her state. We had to let it happen.

Two Registrars had an attempt, all the time Sheena being awfully miserable and distressed. They finally made an urgent call to ICU to get one of them up to do it. By this time it was about 11pm, but it only felt like 30 minutes with all the panic. The ICU Doc tried her foot with no success, and they ultimately decided that they'd have to use a vein in her forehead. I could not handle that so left the room while hubby helped Sheena relax.

Still not 100% sure it is bacterial or still viral, but her chest xray did show a change so it is likely.
She is better today after fluids and general antibiotics overnight. It's possibly still viral but Sheena's Pead said that with her weakened immune system and heart defects she may take longer to recover. Even though the heart defects are small, it still means that oxygen is not as efficiently circulated as you'd like. He said we might still be in here for a few days yet.

Anyway the positives are that Sheena is still eating and drinking, albeit custard and yogurt only. Her temperature has come down, they're trying to reduce her oxygen again throughout the day and she looks a lot better. This picture is of her relaxing after custard for lunch today. Thankfully we were in hospital, as I would not have liked Sheena to deteriorate so rapidly anywhere else.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the rough night she had! Poor Sheena; I just want to scoop her up and give her some cuddles! I hope they get some answers from the blood draw and that she'll be feeling better soon...in my prayers!

Shelley said...

Oh the poor little pumpkin!! I will be thinking of you and hoping for as speedy a recovery as possible. Absolutely in the best place! Love to you both

L. Noelle said...

I am so sorry to hear about all of this! Thank you for taking the time to fill us in! I'm glad things turned around and she's on the upswing again. She'll be home in no time. At least she's in a place where she's getting good care! Best wishes to you.

Sara said...

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that. I hope she gets well real fast and you can get home!!!

Christina said...

I am so sorry the little Princess is sick. I hope she gets a lot better soon and she can come home to rumble around! Hugs fr Vince

Kim Ayres said...

Poor wee soul!

My thoughts are with you, Jo.

amy flege said...

well thats not what i was wanting to hear!!! poor sheena. i hope she is feeling better!!!