Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Vitamins are good for you!


Trying to navigate our way through the whole medical profession at the moment. I spoke to a Dr at the hospital who was calling me back to talk about Sheena's medication and dosage.

To cut a very long story short, he agreed with me that we should put her on Vitamin B6. What the??? I had to call them to tell them that I think she needs this vitamin that is on every Google search for Infantile Spasms. Do Dr's expect parents to have access to the internet these days? How frustrating. For some kids, B6 is all they need to control the seizures. She should have been on this stuff weeks ago, especially when there are no side effects...

I know Dr's are doing their best, but still. If she had a broken leg, they'd use everything at their disposal to get it fixed, why not this?

7 comments:

Christy said...

Another confusing thing! What is it with docs. I spent a WHOLE day at a course today about "advanced care planning" and a lot of it was about how badly the health care system is at being honest with people, keeping things from people and only telling you stuff if you blatently ask about it. Very annoying, but its the world we live in these days, you are very lucky that you are internet savvy and have a few brain cells behind you - what if you were illiterate and didn't have teeth (you know what I mean) as if a highly educated doctor would listen to a single thing you said.
Please note: I don't mean any offence to the toothless of the world, just using a REALLY BAD EXAMPLE.

Christy said...

Oh I forgot to mention, that I really HAVE to go to bed. If only you would not put up all those GORGEOUS photos of the darling Sheena, I'm having a huge dilemma about which one to scrap.
Oh yes.... I must go to bed. Goodnight

Christy said...

Should I say something else.
No I'm just too funny for my own good!

Anonymous said...

Doctors can be big pains in the rear sometimes! I'm glad to know that he agreed with you!

BStrong said...

Dr. Mom usually knows best. Did the doctor actually send you a bill too?

Michelle said...

How frustrating that must have been! I hope she has some success with the B6!

Amy Flege said...

i hope that the B6 works for sheena. so much better than all those meds!! good luck!